I’m a senior-level Game Designer with over 10 years’ success creating educational and entertainment digital products for almost every major platform, from PC and console to the web and mobile/tablet apps.
Passionate about: improving education through innovative, effective games-based learning solutions; user-centred, modern design; stress-testing concepts with digital/physical prototypes; applying research and analytics to decision making; crafting accessible, meticulously-detailed documentation; collaborating with stakeholders and coding/art teams at all stages of development to guarantee quality.
Produced apps for many top brands including LEGO, Hornby/Scalextric, Star Wars and DC Comics.
Game Designer & Producer | Freelance | April 2015 – Present
Currently working on three major projects, all of which are under NDA…
- Project 1 – Virtual Reality game based on one of the world’s most popular science fiction movie franchises.
- Project 2 – Narrative-based edutainment product for one of the biggest educational toy manufacturers.
- Project 3 – iOS/Android apps to tie-in with a key new range from a major toy manufacturer.
Senior Product Designer (Contract) | tagsmArt | August 2014 – March 2015
tagsmArt’s smart labelling and beacon technology allows gallery visitors to engage with artworks like never before.
- Created UI/UX specification for the iOS and Android apps, tailoring each for the host platform’s idioms.
- Defined the interaction behaviour rules between the apps and the BLE beacons and NFC tags.
- Architected and created UI/UX specification of the bespoke CMS powering content delivery to the apps.
Game Designer & Producer | Freelance | July 2012 – July 2014
Delivered digital design and production services to a range of companies. Notable projects include…
- JAKKS Pacific – Designed Hero Portal, a Skylanders-style ‘toy-to-life’ game based on popular children/teen brands (Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Power Ramgers, DC Comics superheroes).
- Mindshapes – Redesigned UX of award-winning iPad app, My Story World, to improve conversion rates.
- Macmillan Cancer – Concepted an iOS/Android game app to help teenage children understand cancer.
- Mangahigh – Created design for Jetstream Riders, a multiplayer game for tablets coded entirely in HTML5.
- Scalextric – Concepted/designed an iOS/Android app to tie-in with the new Racing Control System product line.
- Mangahigh – Managed porting of games onto tablet, redesigning them for the platform’s unique capabilities.
- HotGen – Created concept and design of iOS game Doodle Ducks.
- EGN – Advised on learning game strategy for the proposed relaunch of kids’ literacy site, Wordia.com.
- ALD Life – Collaborated with charity ALD Life to create an app to help children understand the disease ALD.
Games Director | Mangahigh.com | February 2009 – June 2012
Mangahigh is one of the world’s top games-based learning sites, teaching maths via bespoke casual games.
- Defined the company’s game design philosophies and app development strategies.
- Collaborated with educators to generate 17 curriculum-compliant learning game concepts.
- Managed internal/external development teams to ensure games hit deadline and budget.
- Analysed pre- and post-launch user data to refine user experience and pedagogy.
- Conducted pre-launch user testing and analysed post-launch live data to refine user experience and pedagogy.
Game Design & Content Consultant | Freelance | June 2008 – January 2009
Delivered digital product design and editorial content services to a range of companies.
- UbiSoft– Created concept and design specification of Petz: Pony Beauty Pageant on Nintendo DS.
- GamersUniverse.com – Relaunched this gaming website, defining its editorial proposition and ‘look & feel’.
Creative Director | HiScore TV Ltd | December 2003 – May 2008
This small dev produced games across varied platforms, from Sony PSP to ‘plug & play’ TV games to mobile.
- Managed creative aspects of all projects, from concept/design specification to asset production.
- Drove new business development, pitching internally-developed concepts to potential publishers.
- Created design for Domino FX, an original puzzle game for Sony Computer Entertainment Europe.
- Designed and produced three original ‘plug & play’ TV games for Radica.
- Designed and produced Mastertronic’s first mobile gaming app and CMS back-end.
Senior Editor | Computec Media UK | September 1999 – November 2003
This company was a division of Computec Media AG, Germany’s most successful games magazine publisher.
- Launched PlayStation World with sales of 204k, making it one of the UK’s most successful ever launches.
- Launched PC Gameplay and its affiliated website, pcgameplay.co.uk.
Producer | LEGO Interactive | November 1997 – August 1999
LEGO Media was set up by LEGO Group to develop LEGO-themed games, films, TV shows, books and more.
- Designed and produced the award-winning LEGO Chess (PC) and LEGO Rock Raiders (PlayStation).
- Created concept outline for LEGO Mindstorms: Star Wars (PC), a tie-in with The Phantom Menace film.
- Created concept outline for LEGO Island 2 (all major formats), sequel to LEGO’s best-selling first game.
AWARDS & ENDORSEMENTS
- “tagsmArt gives visitors the ultimate personalised art journey. This technology isn’t just a win for viewers, but for galleries, museums and artists as well.” – Annika Erikson, Articheck.co.uk
- “Mangahigh [is] successfully delivering fun, competitive, game-based lessons that drive greater engagement and understanding.” – Bill Gates, co-founder of Microsoft and co-chair of the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation
- “[Mangahigh is] enabling children to engage with complex mathematical problems that would hitherto have been thought too advanced.” – Michael Gove, former Education Secretary for the British Government
- A Tangled Web becomes the first maths game in the world to be endorsed and co-branded by an official awarding body, Edexcel, the UK’s largest such organisation.
- Readers’ Choice Award: Mangahigh.com – eSchool News
- Resoundingly positive press coverage in The Guardian, The Sunday Times, Schoolzone.co.uk and more.
- Software Of The Year Nomination: LEGO Rock Raiders – Family Fun Magazine US
- Editor’s Choice Award: LEGO Chess – Children’s Software Revue US
- Outstanding Award: LEGO Chess – Educate Online UK
- Best Reviews & Tests: Nintendo Official Magazine – EMAP Editorial Awards
- Most Improved Magazine: The One For Amiga Games – EMAP Editorial Awards
- First Class B.Sc. (Hons) Physics with Astrophysics | Leicester University
- Proficient in: general – MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint); flowcharting – Visio, Lucidchart, Gliffy, Wizflow; UI/UX design – Adobe Photoshop, Balsamiq; app prototyping – Proto.io, Flinto.
- Active STEMNET Ambassador, promoting careers in game development in schools and colleges.
- Code iOS/Android games for fun in GameMaker, plus have experience of programming at assembler level.
- Wrote a regular monthly column about mobile app development for DEVELOP magazine.
- Enjoy all types of board games, and regularly attend the London On Board game nights.
- Keen film fan, with an interest in animated shorts from the 20s and 30s.
- Write comedy sketches and sitcoms, several of which have been performed live.
- Black belt in Kissaki-Kai karate, which I help teach to children and adults.
ONE LAST THING…
I am married to Allison and live near Romford, Essex, in the United Kingdom. We have two beautiful twin daughters, Isabelle and Alexandra – living proof that chaotic systems are both exhausting and wonderful. 🙂